Recommended Best Sellers!
Recommended Best Sellers!
Camping is a wonderful experience that is best shared with family and friends.The thrill of being in the outdoors is offering excitement, especially during the night. And in camping, one of the most important factors you need to decide upon is your sleeping option. Campers are used to using tents for decades, but the hammocks are gaining popularity in the recent years. But which one is better? Let us look at the hammock versus tent: a comparison guide for your next camping adventure.
Comparison between a hammock and a tent
Hammocks and tents can both be used during a camping trip, as well as trekking, or in a beach. They differ in installation.
Hammock – it is suspended on trees.
Tent – it is installed on the ground. Tents can either be freestanding or anchored using ropes.
Sleeping is vital during a camping trip. Sleep rejuvenates your body and provides energy to face another day.
Hammock – you can sleep faster and better since a hammock offers a great positioning of the body that induces deeper sleep. The swaying of the hammock also contributes to the sound sleep. However, it is not good for people with motion sickness.
Tent – you can sleep better inside a tent since you are used to sleeping on a solid foundation. You will have pillows and blankets just like regular sleeping. But the tent ground can be hard and uncomfortable.
In a camping site, you need to secure your belongings since you never know if someone is willing to steak things. The two sleeping options offer different security for storage.
Hammock – you cannot store anything inside your hammock since it is only fitting for you. You will need to find another means to store your camping gears.
Tent – you can bring all your things inside your tent while you rest for the night.
Space to do your thing is important in camping trip. You need room to change your clothes, and other necessities.
Hammock – no room for anything else but sleeping. You can sit, but you cannot stand or walk around. You are confined to one place above ground.
Tent – you can dress inside the tent as well as sleep. You can move around freely, especially when you are using a big tent.
Camping time is usually reserved for the summer months, but if you happen to go camping outside the hot days, there is a possibility of rain.
Hammock – you are safe from wet grounds when it rains since you are suspended above the ground. However, if your hammock does not have the capability to shield you from rain, the water can get inside.
Inside a hammock, you will be like a caterpillar in a cocoon. As long as you are firmly and tightly connected to the trees, rain is not a problem for you.
Tent – wet ground is the biggest problem in using a tent when it rains. The good thing is most tents are water proof and you are safe inside the tent even when the rain pours.
A disadvantage in tent when raining is the potential to collapse. This happens if the structure and foundation of the tent was not properly set.
Pros and cons
Let us look into the pros and cons of a hammock and a tent.
Hammock – it is quite challenging to setup, but a hammock only takes a little amount of space in your camping bag. Sleeping is easy, but it exposes you to the elements. You will never get flooded using a hammock, but rain could be an issue.
Tent – it provides better shelter than a hammock, but it is bulky to carry. The ground is hard, but a tent offers security from the night elements. You are protected from rain or snow or wind, but you are at risk of flooding.
Here are some tips for using a hammock or a tent.
- Find a location where there are trees.
- Bring a tarp in case in rains. You can hang the tarp over the hammock to avoid getting wet.
- Ask your friends to use hammocks too so it more fun to have more than one hammock hanging in the trees.
- Practice until you perfect the process of tying your hammock to the trees. Securing your hammock ensures that you will have a good sleep without mishaps.
- Look for a flat ground that is not at risk of flooding.
- Find a ground that is a bit moist but is not covered with mud. This is perfect for anchorage of the tent.
- Use a tent that is suitable for the number of people sleeping inside. Do not bring a tent that is good for four people if you are the only one sleeping in it.
Hammock and tent
- If you are camping in an official campsite, make sure to follow all the rules and regulations of the place.
- If you are camping on unfamiliar ground, scout the area properly to ensure that you are not in danger from wild animals or harsh weather.
- Always setup your hammock or tent securely and firmly. If you are in doubt in your capabilities, ask someone with you who knows better.
- Whether you sleep in a hammock or a tent, secure the storage of your things before visiting dreamland.
A hammock and a tent are both efficient and reliable means of sleeping in a camping adventure. It all boils down to your preference. But, the most important factor that can make the decision for you is your companion in this trip. If you are with your family, it is advisable that you use a tent so you can be together during the night. Same goes if you are with a special person in your life. However, if you are alone or went to camping with friends only, you can use a hammock to sleep alone. Or you can share your hammock with someone special. The choice is yours.