Global Positioning Unit or what is commonly known as GPS is integrated into hiking. The electronics industry produced and continues to innovate the best hiking GPS trackers in the market in order to provide superior guidance to enthusiastic hikers. A GPS tracker is important in your hiking escapades, so you can track your way, save your location, find your way back, and send an SOS in case of emergencies. Without a doubt, hiking GPS trackers are one of the most must-have items for hikers. With this tool, you are confident that you are safe in your outdoor activity.
Quick buying guide
You do not need to get a headache in deciding on what hiking GPS tracker to buy. Though the process of choosing can get confusing, you actually just need to focus on a few aspects.
- Size – decide whether you want a larger GPS tracker device or a smaller one.
- Interface – there are devices that are touch screen, and there are also those with buttons. Make your choice on which kind is most suitable for you.
- Data transfer – technology is powerful, and you can wirelessly transfer your GPS data wirelessly, or you can do it through USB or manually. It is up to you which one you prefer.
- Portability – there are devices that can be mounted to your hiking backpack, and there are those that can be attached to your wrist. Others are handheld. Selection basically depends on your preference.
- Budget – hiking GPS trackers vary in price. Those with advanced features are usually expensive, and GPS trackers that are traditional and simple are budget-friendly. This choice boils down to how much you can afford.
Top 5 Hiking GPS Trackers
Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
The Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS is perfect for your outdoor hiking adventure. It is designed to be attached to your wrist so you can make use of both your hands in the trail. You never have to worry about losing your way with this GPS tracker, since you can easily retrace your steps. You can save your locations in this tool, and you can share data through wireless connectivity or through USB.
- Slim wrist-mounted
- High-sensitivity waterproof GPS receiver
- Electronic compass
- Barometric altimeter
- Lightweight and portable
- 17 hours battery life
- Replaceable AAA batteries
- More expensive compared to other hiking GPS
This product cost more than other GPS trackers, but it is highly recommended because it guarantees superior functionality.
VGEBY Mini GPS Tracker Locator
The VGEBY Mini GPS Tracker Locator is manufactured using premium aluminum alloy that makes this product resistant to rust. It is lightweight, sturdy, and portable. This GPS tracker has an ergonomic design and shape, and you can save up to 16 locations. It is quite easy to use and navigate, plus it has a key chain that contributes to the seamless usage of this product. With this GPS tracker, you can always find your way.
- Simplified operation and navigation
- Durable and long-lasting
- Premium aluminum alloy construction
- 3-button design
- No color diversity
This product offers a 180 days warranty, and it is highly recommended for your outdoor hiking adventure.
Garmin inReach Explorer+ Hiking GPS Bundle
The Garmin inReach Explorer+ Hiking GPS by Playbetter is designed to conveniently attach to your backpack. It offers GPS coverage for all over the world, and it has maps and messaging system. The best thing is, you do not need cell service in order to send and receive email or text messages using this GPS tracker. In case you have an emergency in your hike, rescue is immediately provided thanks to the 24/7 monitoring service.
- GEOS Emergency Response
- Pre-loaded Topo Maps
- Worldwide coverage
- Very expensive
This product is very expensive, but it can save your life in case of emergency. Therefore, it is highly recommended.
Garmin GPSMAP 64sx, Handheld GPS
The Garmin GPSMAP 64sx Handheld GPS has a striking rugged design with a 2.6” color display that can be read even with sunlight glaring at the screen. It is a waterproof GPS device, and it is extremely durable and long-lasting. This product has a TopoActive Maps that is preloaded into the device. You can go anywhere in the US or Australia with confidence that you have the best navigation tool.
- Topo Active maps of the US and Australia
- High-sensitivity receiver
- Multi-GNSS support
- 3-axis compass
- Wireless connectivity
- 16-hour battery life in GPS mode
- Quite an expensive compass
This product is indeed expensive, but it worth every penny due to its exceptional durability and functionality.
GPS Tracker – Optimus 2.0
The Optimus Tracker GPS Tracker keeps you on the loop whenever important incidents are triggered. The app of this GPS tracker is very easy to use. And so whatever hiking trail you will follow, you can always find your way and you will know where to go and where you are.
- Powerful app
- Computer tracking website
- Can track anything
- Email and Text alerts
- Includes SIM card and Data Plan
- US based customer support for phone and email
- Coverage of the GPS tracker is limited to the US
This product is highly recommended primarily because of its amazing battery consumption. One full charge allows this GPS tracker to last for up to two weeks.
A hiking GPS tracker is a vital device in your hiking adventures. You need to have a tool that can help you track your movements and lead you back to where you started. A lot of things can happen in the trails, and you need a GPS tracker to assist you in getting help if you get lost or if you are involved in an emergency.